Chiropractic offers nonsurgical, drug-free options for optimizing health. Chiropractic treatment focuses on the restoration of motion and mobility to the joints of the body, to improve the health and function of the bones, discs, nerves, and muscle tissue. The joints of the body commonly lose their mobility following injury, trauma, or even everyday degenerative wear and tear. This immobility results in tissue breakdown, loss of function and ultimately the loss of signaling from the body to the brain. Chiropractic therapies restore motion to tissues, optimizing neurologic communication throughout the body, maximizing health and function.
The chiropractic ‘adjustment’ also referred to as chiropractic manipulation, refers to a chiropractor applying a highly specific and gentle thrust to the vertebra and joints of the body, to mobilize joints, relieve pain and restore normal cell processes and function.
Chiropractic medicine works in conjunction with conventional and integrative medical disciplines including orthopedics, neurology, physical therapy, and naturopathy, allowing patients to benefit from a diversity of domains.
Dry needling is safe, state of the art treatment technique used to address musculoskeletal pain. This procedure is performed daily by our skilled and trained chiropractor who is certified in this procedure. The doctor uses a medical-grade, monofilament needle to penetrates the skin and treat muscular trigger points and adhesions for the management of neuromusculoskeletal pain and injuries.
Trigger points are tight bands in the muscle fibers that can cause pain and tenderness and disrupt function. When dry needling is applied to these areas of injury and disorganization, it improves circulation and reduces pain.
It’s important to note dry needling is not the same as acupuncture. Though both modalities use the same medical grade needles, dry needling is rooted in Western medicine and evaluation of pain patterns and functional impairments, while acupuncture is based on Eastern medicine.
Dry needling targets connective tissue, found in and around the muscles and joints. When connective tissue becomes adhesive, the fascia proliferates and inhibits blood flow. By disrupting this adhesive connective tissue, you promote circulation, release muscle tightness, and promote tissue repair. The goals are to reduce pain, inactivate trigger points and restore function. Dry needling can be used for a wide variety of musculoskeletal issues, such as chronic injuries, arthritis, and joint pain throughout the body.
Cold laser therapy is a treatment modality which utilizes specific wavelengths of light applied to tissue to decrease inflammation, relieve pain and accelerate the healing process. This painless application is a non-invasive and effective way to manage pain and injury by helping to restore normal cell proliferation and function.
The laser uses ‘focused’ light to stimulate tissue repair by promoting cellular regeneration, encouraging collagen production and increasing blood supply for improved circulation. Additionally, it reduces inflammation, which helps minimize the pain associated with many chronic conditions, including arthritis, tendinitis and injuries.
Highly effective for eliminating chronic pain, correcting postural misalignment, and enhancing overall body function and performance.
Simple, highly targeted exercises designed to restore proper motion to specific joints (eg., back, hips, knees, ankles, elbows). Exercises can be performed at home with little or no equipment, following one-on-one instruction and practice with the chiropractor. Egoscue and foundation training products (books and tapes) for home use are available for purchase at the clinic.
Orthotic Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers (Foot Inserts)
Digital laser state of the art foot scan is used to assess pronation of the feet.
Postural Effects from Imbalances in the Feet:
- Pronation is a loss of arch height resulting in a flattening and rolling in of the foot. This affects the joints of the body globally, as our feet are our foundation.
- Pronation will result in excessive rotation of the bones of the leg, causing stress on the knees and pelvis. Pelvic unlevelling can result in low back pain and even chronic back problems.
Benefits of Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers:
- Properly fitted orthotics, or Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers will support the feet to control excessive and unwanted burdens on the feet, reducing unwanted stress throughout the body.
- Orthotics lessen shock reduce and help reduce repetitive stress on joints and muscles
- Use of Spinal Pelvic Stabilizers represents a long-term, yet cost-effective intervention for many types of functional and structural problems.
Personal Care Plan
Integrative Focus Care in YNC’s chiropractic center is typically co-managed internally by our chiropractor and our naturopathic physicians. This gives patients the convenience of coordinated, integrative medical-chiropractic care under one roof. We also consult with, refer patients to, and co-manage care with providers outside our center, including neurologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and physical therapists. When surgery is indicated, we can provide pre- and post-surgical chiropractic care to improve outcomes.
By combining disciplines, patients benefit from a diversity of domains. Through integrative care, we ensure that patients get the full benefit of comprehensive therapies and perspectives.
In all cases, chiropractic treatment is preceded by comprehensive assessment and diagnostics to understand patient needs and treatment goals. Key tools include:
- Intake exams
For each patient, we take a detailed medical history, conduct a comprehensive physical exam, discuss daily activities and dietary practices, and review past and current injuries and current symptoms.
- Imaging evaluations
As appropriate, we order and review imaging technologies (including X-rays, MRIs, and CT scans when appropriate), evaluating from a perspective of total body performance. We also access and review existing digital films taken at local hospitals or by other local providers.
Comprehensive Treatment Plans
Our comprehensive treatment plans, based on information gathered through assessment and diagnostics, recommend appropriate and beneficial therapies, treatment frequencies, and progress monitoring. Plans components might include:
- Chiropractic therapies
- Postural assessment
- Integrative treatments (including acupuncture, regenerative injection therapy (RIT), and comprehensive natural pain management) with YNC physicians
- Recommendations for ergonomic changes to workstation layouts, equipment design, and work procedures
- Recommendations for nutritional, dietary, and lifestyle improvement
- Referrals for integrative evaluation and treatment by outside providers
- Patient education to encourage self-sufficiency and reduce healthcare costs, every patient is educated for self-care and prevention. Opportunities for self-care include postural improvements, elimination of repetitive motion in daily activities, home exercise and stretching, and improvements to diet and nutrition. Education can take the form of one-on-one instruction or participation in regular group classes and workshops at the clinic on posture, pain relief, and chiropractic care.