Welcome to the YNC SIBO Center!
Are you suffering from IBS? Do you constantly struggle with constipation, diarrhea or both? Is your day significantly impacted by excessive bloating or abdominal pain? Are you interested in an explanation for your symptoms and treatment options to address your gastrointestinal problems?
The dedicated physicians at the Yellowstone Naturopathic Clinic are here to help.
We are pleased to offer the latest breakthrough technology and medical advances in diagnosing and treating SIBO.
What is SIBO?
SIBO stands for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and has been linked to many health concerns, particularly symptoms that are related to IBS and the gastrointestinal tract. SIBO occurs when the healthy bacteria (probiotics) that normally reside in the large intestine migrate upwards and overpopulate the small intestine. When there is too much of these bacteria in the small intestine, they can damage and compete with your own body’s cells in absorbing the nutrients from the food you ingest. When this occurs, the bacteria produce large amounts of methane and hydrogen gas, which can cause the symptoms associated with IBS. These hydrogen and methane gases are only produced by bacteria, and do not naturally occur in the human digestive tract.
Medical Conditions that are Associated with SIBO
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Heartburn and GERD
- Leaky gut, food sensitivities and/or food allergens
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis
- Celiac disease
- Anxiety and depression
- Restless Legs Syndrome
What Causes SIBO?
- Medications such as birth control pills, antibiotics, proton pump inhibitors and opiate based pain medications
- Chronic stress
- Gastroenteritis (food poisoning)
- Anatomy changes such as scar tissue or adhesions, most commonly caused by abdominal surgery
- Lifestyle factors
How is SIBO Tested?
SIBO is tested through a simple, three-hour breath test that requires minimal prep time. At YNC, we offer local and cost effective in-house testing for SIBO. This allows for the treatment process to begin as quickly as possible, once a diagnosis has been established. We regularly calibrate our SIBO breath machine (Quintron Breathtracker) to ensure accurate results each time.
Why are we different?
- We treat the whole person, not just the disease.
- SIBO can be a complicated medical diagnosis. At YNC, we are committed to understanding and treating the underlying cause of SIBO. We work in collaboration with gastrointestinal doctors in the Billings area to develop a treatment plan that is appropriate for you.
- The practitioners at the YNC SIBO Center have advanced training in SIBO and gastrointestinal health, and have worked extensively with Dr. Nirala Jacobi, one of Australia’s main experts in managing SIBO as well as Dr. Steven Sandberg-Lewis, a naturopathic physical specializing in functional gastroenterology and SIBO in the United States.
We are proud to offer many treatments, acute and chronic, to manage SIBO. Our treatment options are patient specific, and therefore we are able to establish an individualized program that is specific for you and your lifestyle.
Treatment options may include a combination of the following:
- Herbal antibiotics
- Candida treatment (SIFO – Small Intestinal Fungal Overgrowth)
- Prescription antibiotics (in collaboration with a gastroenterologist)
- Specialized dietary counseling
- IV nutritional therapy
- NeurOptimal therapy
- Other nutritional supplements
- Bodywork and massage
- Colon hydrotherapy (colonics)
- Healthy probiotic support and management
For more information or to speak with a physician to determine if SIBO testing is appropriate for you, please contact YNC at 406.259.5096 for a complimentary 15 minutes visit either in person or by phone.