Genetically Based Weight Optimization Program
Long Lasting Weight Loss
For Yellowstone County News
By: Dr. Kaila Sellars, ND at Yellowstone Naturopathic Clinic
Tired of experiencing or hearing about quick weight loss fads? Wanting a safe and long-lasting approach to healthy weight loss? Naturopathic physicians are thoroughly trained in holistic healthcare and utilize an individualized approach, focusing on nutrition and lifestyle counseling.
To best determine individual needs, there is a genetic test that evaluates five genes known to have a significant impact on the metabolism of fats and carbohydrates, as well as responsiveness to different forms of exercise. These genes were selected following a very thorough review of the current literature related to exercise, obesity and nutrition. The results help determine the most efficient nutrition and exercise plan for you as an individual.
A Bioelectric Impedance Analysis (BIA) is a non-invasive tool that determines fat mass, water composition and muscle mass. These results provide additional details of your overall health and help determine a healthy weight and body fat percentage goal. It is recommended to have a BIA at the beginning and end of a program to compare results.
Nutritional needs vary and starting with a diet diary is helpful. There are several apps that can be used that estimate calories, to help track total energy intake (food/calories) vs. energy output (exercise). It is often surprising to see how many calories are in a single serving of our favorite foods, such as pizza, and tracking what we eat and drink improves awareness about what we are putting into our bodies. Food should be seen as serving two main goals: providing us with sufficient energy to function and providing essential nutrients and vitamins to help us repair, heal and grow.
For additional support, there are specialized nutrient injections available that work synergistically to support fat and carbohydrate metabolism, while also boosting energy and motivation.
These intramuscular injections, referred to as “MIC,” are a lipotropic combination of the following:
- Methionine – an essential amino acid with antioxidant properties; improves mood and can also reduce allergies (histamine)
- Inositol – related to the B vitamin family; involved in various biological processes, including the breakdown of fats and supporting mood concerns
- Choline – an essential nutrient for proper liver function; helps the body to use fat as a fuel source
- L-Carnitine – an amino acid that promotes proper metabolism and cardiovascular function
- Vitamin B 12 – supports numerous biochemical functions including brain, heart and nervous system activity, essential for fat metabolism